Saturday, May 26, 2012

Majorana fermions

I was reading this article (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120515094136.htm) about a condensed matter physics breakthrough called topological insulators which mainly focused on the material Bismuth Selenide, which according to the article has yet the lowest electron-phonon coupling even when approaching room temperature. And then all the way to the end part, a potentially major discovery by a group of Chinese scientists is mentioned. A superconductor material is layered onto the surface of the topological insulator and theoretically you create a particle that is its own antiparticle. Now that's sick! I just needed it published here to remind myself that one day, as a much improved and matured scientist, I will probably have to deal with this topological insulators myself. And I needed to remember the name of the new particle, "Majorana fermions". I wonder who came up with the name? It's not very flattering.

(Image Lifted from http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/MajoranaFermion_main_0416.jpg )

No comments:

Post a Comment